About Stuttering

About Stuttering

What is Stuttering

Stuttering can be classified as a communication disorder that causes disruptions or “disfluencies” in a person’s speech. People who stutter may experience repetitions, prolongations, or blocks, or may also experience a combination of these. The severity of stuttering varies widely among the different people who experience it. It is estimated that about 1% of the adult population stutters, and it is about three or four times more common in males than in females. People who stutter experience a loss of control that can lead to behavioral, cognitive, emotional, and physiological reactions. These symptoms, may, for example, include physical tension and struggle in their speech muscles as well as embarrassment and anxiety. When stuttering behaviors are detected, early intervention is recommended through a speech therapy session with a speech and language pathologist, specialized in stuttering. While there is no ‘cure’ for stuttering, speech therapy can help manage the stutter better and communicate effectively along with self-acceptance and awareness.

Some Statistics About Stuttering

  • Stuttering usually begins between the age of 2 to 3.5 years

  • Stuttering is more common among males than females. The male-to-female ratio for adults is about 3:1; and 1:1 in children from pre-scholar age.

  • An estimated 71 million people stutter worldwide

  • 80% of young children who begin to stutter have what is called natural recovery. As for the remaining 20%, stuttering will persist.
Activity Feed